Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Campaign opening

Enter into Darkness - Game Information

"Enter into Darkness" is a roleplaying game set in the Ultima CRPG universe, approximately at the same time Ultima 1 takes place. The game is based on a campaign I designed back in 2008 when I first rekindled an interest in D&D. It does not follow the canon of Ultima as established by the CRPG/MMORPG, but has a rough approximation to events that occur in the Age of Darkness. (Ultima I, II, and III)


The game utilizes a heavily modified version of Swords & Wizardry White Box (1st printing).

Pretty much all you need to know is in this book. While I won't stop you from reading the Game Master's Guide, like anything else in a GRG or DMG, I reserve the right to change it wholecloth. :)

This game is going to feel a lot different than my previous AD&D campaign (which is still just on pause, not dead yet!) "The Dark Ages." My Ultima, my Sosaria, has a much more pronounced "good" and "evil" ("Law" and "Chaos") feel to it than the other game. It is a simpler game in some respects, with the OD&D flat power curve (1d6 damage, 1d6 HD). I don't see it as a game where the focus is on loot, xp and avarice. There's a definite "high fantasy" feel to Ultima and I support that in my approach to how I present the NPCs and situations.

Having said that, just like in "The Dark Ages" campaign, this is a sandbox. I've set up the pieces, what you do is up to you. If you wish to become heroes and Avatars, go for it! If you want to set up a mercenary shop, you're more than welcome. Just because I have a "high fantasy" feel to this doesn't mean that if you want to be capitalistic adventurers, you can't. The world will react as the world will react. People expect the Strangers will either be heroes of villains. 

I'm also of the opinion that this will serve as a playtest. The players who are about to start the game are the first ones to put pencil and dice to tabletop with these rules. We might find we all hate something and just like with the AD&D game, I'm open to suggestions, alternatives or even the "this really sucks!!!!" exclamation.

I also can tell you that I've tweaked Kellri's weather charts for Sosaria. :D  Everyone started hating the constant rainy weather. 

As of now, there are 4 players:
Gabriel
Alan
Joseph
Reese

I'm open to more, probably a limit of 6.

I have a feeling that this game will be a bit less "smooth" than the previous online one I ran on Google Wave. Wave In A Box is still experimental/developer grade material, which is partially why I have this blog - so I can record things that are significant. I don't quite know yet how I'll backup/export the waves as they go, we'll see how it works out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment